Sunday 1 June 2008

Smells Like Happiness

Oooh, nice! I do hope the next film focuses on my favourite storyline, i.e. the one pictured above. I'll never get over my childhood affections and when I saw this still on TLC, it took me right back to biting my nails when reading the sixth Harry Potter book. Oh, the drama! Oh, the angst!

But anyway, Harry Potter has been on my mind for another reason these past weeks. One of my favourite little ideas in the book was also featured in the sixth book. Here goes:

"This left Harry, Ron and Hermione to share a table with Ernie. They chose the one nearest a gold-coloured cauldron that was emitting one of the most seductive scents Harry had ever inhaled: somehow it reminded him simultaneously of treacle tart, the woody smell of a broomstick handle and something flowery he thought he might have smelled at The Burrow. He found that he was breathing very slowly and deeply and that the potion's fumes seemed to be filling him up like drink. A great contentment stole over him; he grinned across at Ron, who grinned lazily back. (...)
"And it's supposed to smell differently to each of us, according to what attracts us, and I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and -" But she turned slightly pink and did not complete the sentence."

It's a love potion, of course, but since then I always wanted something that'd be a combination of smells I'm attracted to. That's why I wanted a perfume with ingredients like ceylon tea, jasmine or cinnamon. Or that wonderful white flower which grows on bushes all about the city right now. Max and I couldn't think of its name.

Smells that attract me: Freshly made coffee and chocolate - I'm living close to a chocolate and coffee factory and have always loved leaving the house in the morning to find the air full of these scents. I don't even like coffee as a drink, but that smell is wonderful. Then there's the forrest, especially when it has rained, and more particularly pines because they take me back to Greece when I was ten and we wandered the cliffs. I like the smell of rocks and moss on a mountain, and I'm going cross-eyed when there are forrest strawberries. When it's starting to rain and the dust in the city is being dissolved, the air seems to be wet and dry at the same time. I'm really fond of the smell inside of big, old churches. Of course my favourite might still be a bakery, especially Turkish ones.
However, my new perfume is apparently "a gorgeous blend of Jasmine nectar, sweet orange flower, enticing chasmere wood, luxurious pink musk". I don't even know half of these...things, but it sure attracts me! Finally, finally, after months of looking/smelling around, I've found something that's just, well, me. Happy happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment