Tuesday 6 May 2008

Away away

Today I was asked to come along on an Interrail journey through Croatia and Italy. I'm sort of tempted even though I've already got my ideal holiday planned. At least in my head.

Wouldn't it be great to take a train through Northern Greece and Bulgaria, visit all those amazing churches and cities and then end the trip in Istanbul? I'd also like to go to France and Switzerland and Luxemburg and Belgium because I've never been there before. Another plan I keep thinking about is boarding a train and visiting all the main German cities from the South to the North. One should know one's neighbours, after all. The most unlikely plan involves a trip through Albania, Macedonia, what is now Kosovo and Bulgaria. The mountains must be great there.

However, I'm pretty sure that I'm not courageous enough yet to do any of these trips on my own, as much as I'd like myself to be. Finding someone to come along is quite impossible because friends always seem to have either completely different preferences or other people to plan their holidays with. Unfortunately I fail to understand how it's possible not to want to travel, or to always go to the same place when it's not about visiting friends or family.
Which leaves me with plan B which I've been meaning to do for a while now anyway: Climb some serious mountains. Or at least go for a walk that lasts two weeks. Austria is good for that at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment