Monday 10 October 2016

merely to be happy

IMG_4508IMG_4456IMG_4424IMG_4326

It was a good summer. For the first time in years (half a decade, in fact), I spent more time "on the continent", in "Europe", than in the UK. I rode my bike, I spent some time in Italy, I went swimming in the Danube. I read a lot, in fields and parks. I used a lot of sunscreen. I thought about sports metaphors. Good players adjust. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. As the political context in the UK became more and more hostile, anxiety-inducing, I stopped checking twitter, started relying on radio programmes from Austria and Norway for slow news instead. At the end of the summer, I read Jean Giono's 'Voyage en Italie'. "Do I even have to mention that I have not come here to learn about Italy, but merely to be happy?" I think about it a lot.

1 comment: