Saturday 23 October 2010

not an exciting day, really

peaks

Day 06 - Your day
I didn't have to go to work. I didn't have to go to the library. I didn't have any arrangements to do anything with anyone. That made me really happy because I was feeling a bit peaky all week.
My day was incredibly quiet. At midnight I was watching The Golden Bowl, ie.. the film version of the Henry James novel. It was quite good! I remember I had wanted to see it back when it came out but it was never released in Austria, so it was a pleasant surprise when I saw it in the TV schedule. What I liked best was how the innovations of the early 1900s were shown - cars, telephones, modern music and dance. I thought the plot was rather disturbing even though I knew what it was about. I haven't read the book yet, but I will once I've finished Of Human Bondage. It was hard to get to sleep because I kept thinking about the characters.
I slept in, made pancakes for breakfast and then spent the rest of the afternoon reading, writing letters and listening to Radio 4. I decided that Alistair Darling is the best name in the whole wide world. My brother asked for advice on which book to read next. E.M. Forster of course! I gave him Never Let Me Go when I couldn't deal with it, and he said he really liked it. Sucks. I also tried to watch Gossip Girl for a bit, but it's so annoying now that I gave up again. I did leave the house to go to the shop where the man in front of me bought forty-eight cans of beer. I bought spinach and bread. My brother and I cooked dinner together, then I spent some time cursing the newspaper (why do I read a conservative newspaper? why??). Now it's time to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. sounds amazing. has totally inspired my day - for once it's entirely free! i'm going to read and read and read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day seemed very carefree! love the photos too!

    Oh and E.M. Forster is wonderful! A Passage to India is one of my all time favorites. Never Let Me Go was very wordy but overall I really enjoyed it once i got through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, another person who enjoyed Never Let Me go! It made me feel sick and I couldn't go on reading it.
    One of these days I'll read Forster's non-fiction. I'm especially keen on his diaries, they must be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete