Wednesday 31 December 2008

2008

Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I made any resolutions - if I did, it was probably to do well at university which I achieved and plan to do again in 2009.

What countries did you visit?

Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Salzkammergut
Salzkammergut/Austria

Happiness
Norway

ednbr
Scotland

What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?

Learning new things & figuring out what I want. And finally having the courage to cut my hair short! Best decision ever:

The real me!

Ahahaha my brother took this picture yesterday night, we had both come home late and did crazy things with our hair.

What was your biggest failure(s)?

Being a total loser when it came to being a good friend!


Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The people who run "Österreich" (the newspaper, not the country) and the guy who thought I was telling a friend of ours mean stories about him. As if!

Where did most of your money go?

Honestly?

Plane
blue shoes
Lipstick

I was a total girl this year: Travelling, make-up, clothes. I got my books for free because my mum got them...

Compared to this time last year,

I'm skinnier, but other than that I'm alright. I also know more about South Eastern Europe, yay!


What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worrying. Also, work and uni because it got to a point when I didn't have any social life at all. And in general, too much theory & talking, not enough action!


How will you be spending Christmas?

We did the patchwork family thing: Lunch at my dad's place first:

Patchwork

One of the great things this year was how my family just stuck together and everything finally worked out fine. That was the most important thing for me. You can see my big cheesy smile!
After lunch my brothers and I headed back home where we had tea, sang carrols and looked at the beautiful Christmas tree. Then there were presents, dinner and everyone was happy. I love Christmas more than anything.


What was your greatest musical discovery?

Orange Juice! Was that this year? Anyway, lots and lots of brilliant indiepop from the 80s, I didn't listen to much else - Josef K, Aztec Camera, The Field Mice, The Shop Assistants, The Orchids, The Wedding Present, The Pastels etc.

What book(s) did you like most?

"Like" by Ali Smith. It made me happy in a way that no other book managed. I also really liked the books I read by Gore Vidal and "The Good Soldier" by Ford Maddox Ford. "Women in Love" by D.H. Lawrence was the most impressive book I read. "Other Voices, Other Rooms" by Truman Capote was the stupidest thing I read and I wanted to tear it apart ALL THE TIME because I hated it so much. Urgh. This year I've read far more scholarly books than novels though, some of which were truly impressive and entertaining at once.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I think I was on my own all day? I unpacked my presents in the morning, then spent all day at university. It was a lovely spring day and I wandered around on my own and took pictures, waiting for the next seminar to start. My best friend forgot it was my birthday. I was 21.


How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

You have to touch me with kid glovesKeep it cleanI like a girl in uniform (school uniform)Stripes are fun

2008 was the year I gradually stopped wearing trousers except funny ones. Library chic. Dresses & skirts I could cycle in. Faux-French. Colour coordinated. Bright tights (again). Lipstick. What would fit in a Belle & Sebastian video?
I didn't have a concept, but other people seemed to think so: When I worked at the football exhibition, my boss looked at me one day and said, "Theo...I really must say...you always look like something else!"
If I can have a concept for next year, I'd like to look like myself. That's it.


Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I have no clue, I really don't think about that. I fancy Boris Jirka who is a sports journalist on Austrian TV, but 90% of that is just about saying "Ooooh Boris Jirka!" because it makes everyone else roll their eyes. I took a picture of him on tv once when he was wearing a slouchy weird polo shirt:


I think I might fancy Alex Kapranos if he wasn't about 17 years older than I.

What political issue stirred you the most?


Macedonia, obviously! What else?? Yeah, so I was obsessed with American politics, but I'm just interested in political strategy - Obama didn't "stir" me.


Who do you miss?

My best friend who moved to Scotland.


Who was the best new person you met?

A professor of mine. Makes me think twice about things. Brilliant.


Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:

Dancing

Don't give up!
And: Being on one's own can be fun!

1 comment: