Tuesday 29 July 2008

We'll find our own way



The only thing equal to my love of mixtapes is my love for proper albums on tape. It's pretty hard to find good ones, but when I went to an Oxfam in Oxford a couple of years ago, I stumbled upon a proper treasure: Gene's "Olympian" and The Housemartins' "The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death". I don't have an ipod or anything like it, so my walkman is my only means of listening to music when I'm out and about. To be able to listen to albums that are hard to get even on CD is brilliant.



Gene are little known today, as far as I know, but they are probably my favourite Britpop band these days. They wore their influences on their sleeves - doesn't the album artwork remind you slightly of a certain band which starts with an "S" and ends with "miths"? However, to me they're just a really great pop band. I love a good pop song! Gene are so sentimental that I'm sure not everyone would like them.



But sometimes sentimentality and straightforward drama is all you need. I'm especially enamoured with "Haunted By You" which features a great chorus and handclaps - which is about everything I need in a song. This is a great song to sing along to when racing through dark, rainy streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment