Friday 25 April 2008

Springing

Today I had a great experience in a bookshop. It wasn't anything special, but it made me happy enough to last the rest of the day.

I was browsing the "classics" section in the English language department, as usual, and noticed two teenage girls next to me, leaving through books in the "teenage fiction" section. I felt slightly old and then started to listen to their conversation. They apparently had to choose a book to do a book report about for school. Then one of the girls said, "I want to read something that is really gripping, something that I really like for once." I looked over and saw her putting a book back onto the shelf. Well, I just couldn't stop myself even though I was afraid of really freaking them out. I walked over and said, "Excuse me, but that book you just looked at, "The Perks of Being A Wallflower", is really quite good. I liked it a lot when I read it."

Luckily, the girls didn't start laughing or anything, they just smiled and said thank you. And then they both chose the book! I was so pleased! I do hope they'll like it. It's not what I'd usually consider, it wasn't even back when I read it four or five years ago - it's about this boy in his teens who writes letters to an unknown person and it's sort of the typical "Catcher in the Rye" thing, but with references to Pavement and the like. My brother Konstantin really liked it too.

Anyway, this made me happy today. I also made the experience that eating icecream whilst cycling is, indeed, possible, even if slightly adventurous. However, it meant doing two of my favourite things as once, and I even had chestnut icecream to eat, how wonderful!
I also noticed today after my lecture that all the nice-looking boys were wrestling with the locks of their bikes as well. Nice people ride bikes! And the others drive cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment