Monday 4 June 2012

trees, games, friends

UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled
Untitled

We built some excellent towers last night. It's still light at 10pm around here which doesn't cease to amaze me. It's wonderful. I spent a good part of Friday night admiring the sea of green surrounding the cathedral and the city centre. There's something about looking down on a mass of trees that is really soothing.
On Saturday and Sunday I obsessively tried to avoid the Jubilee by hiding in various libraries. I'm, uh, really not a fan. It's great to be in the library now that the exams are over and all the undergrads have gone. Very quiet and empty. I've been seeking out places that aren't busy at all in the past few weeks. For example, that green path on the third and fourth picture is my new favourite route to the library and to my boyfriend's house. I think my attitude to the world in the last month is summed up by this gif, but I'm sure I'll feel better as soon as this constant talk about the monarchy is over. I'm also looking forward to a visit to Italy, two trips to Austria and Indietracks. Summer!

3 comments:

  1. I had just written a nice comment to you, but the page froze and now it's lost, it seems. I was writing about how much I like your photos etc. When I was a student in the UK, I spent my time in libraries avoiding not the Jubilee but the football world cup. My friends from the band Doggy are playing Indietracks this year, don't miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! I'm actually enjoying the football... but not the BBC coverage of it.
      I hadn't heard about Doggy before, I'll be sure to check them out!

      Delete
  2. Mary- Elle Wayland4 June 2012 at 23:44

    Someone needs to write a book about what has happened to people's relationship with the monarchy over the past couple of years, it's really interesting. It's pretty sad when things are so bad that the monarchy become the good guys and something worthy of celebration in the minds of lots of people! On the plus side we can now fly our national flag (like every other sodding country in the world) without feeling racist, which I actually think is pretty good. Also, I think the flotilla was AMAZING, especially when the choir were belting out the national anthem while dripping wet with rain (this was after the BBC told us the "wow moment" had been cancelled, and shortly before the transmission cut out and the screen became so blurred we could barely see the fireworks). My whole family were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. I don't think many people from other countries would understand why, and that's why I think our misguided attempts to celebrate something about being British (even if it's the wrong thing) aren't entirely bad.

    ReplyDelete