Thursday 25 August 2011

Rotterdam

19383940243687

After Utrecht I spent a day in Rotterdam which may have been the strangest day of the trip. I had never been in a city like that before, a city that felt like the future, or maybe a 50s version of the future. Whereas my hometown doesn't ever seem to change, at least not drastically - and whenever it does change, people can't stop complaining about it - Rotterdam felt like a continual work in progress. It was fascinating, but it also felt strange. Looking back it seemed more than apt that we went to the Nederlands Fotomuseum. New Topographics. Photographs of a Man-Altered Landscape was on show, "a re-make of an influential exhibition about new landscape photography that was taking place at the George Eastman House in Rochester (USA) in 1975". Brilliant.
I'm off to Berlin now to meet my friends again. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment