Thursday 11 February 2010

a hommage


STS - Großvater

I do realise that everyone but my mother won't see the point in writing about this song. It's Austropop after all, an odd sort of genre which is more or less dead by now. In the 70s and 80s there were several bands who sang in dialect and I remember being a little kid and listening to my father humming songs about grumpy Viennese tramway passengers. It's all turned into an embarrassing farce the older the protagonists got, but I can't help it, I love the old albums. They're so simple, so down-to-earth, the lyrics are quite funny and touching. I'm probably just being sentimental, it seems to be part of my parents' youth as well as a part of an Austrian reality that has long since passed. Or maybe I just enjoy listening to the blunt dialect, the outdated phrases and the fact that only a native speaker could understand the words.
I thought about all of this when I watched this video the other day. Most of all I thought of my own grandparents. I miss them. "Kannst du ned owe kommen auf an Schnellkaffee?", pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment