Friday 3 April 2009

any day or night

Today I finally heard Franz Ferdinand's cover of Blondie's "Call Me" and I died a little. Guh. What is it with them doing covers that always make me drool with happiness and sheer amusement?
It might appear on this blog that all I listen to is Franz Ferdinand and random stuff from Scandinavia. To quote the creepy guy from Lord of the Rings (I can't believe that I forgot his name), "THAT...is a lie". My love for 80s/90s indiepop blooms eternal!
That being said, I did dance like a crazy, possessed person last night. There were a lot of 12-year-olds all around me and we were spending the night at the museum once again and the sun had been warm and wonderful before it disappeared and I was happy and not annoyed by my colleagues. And then they played Rihanna at the disco, "Disturbia", and it's just so catchy and fun and yeah, I danced. I've actually never tried dancing to mainstreamy pop music before, that was odd.

We talked my professor into reading Harry Potter today. She said she hadn't done it because she's an arrogant philologist, so I said that I knew a couple of classical philologists who read and enjoyed it, and those are supposedly more arrogant than just plain philologists... speaking of which - Harry Potter, not any kind of philologists! - I loved this part of an interview with Tom Felton/Draco Malfoy. "You’re right, I am nothing like him, but yet I feel very close to him. Occasionally, you know, I’ll catch sort of a Draco stare in the mirror, and I’ll think, “Oh yeah, now I remember that. It’s a bit of a stone-eyed face, and I think, “Oh, that’s the one.”"
I'm so glad I'm not an actor, it would freak me out.

As for the funny anecdote of the day, an elderly man stopped me today and said, "Are you wearing those big headphones all the time? They hide your beauty away!" Charming. Possibly someone with an ear fetish!

And have a great video about Jeremy Paxman and his non-weather reports that Kevin sent me, it's fantastic and I wish I was him. "And now on the theory that while some people are interested in the markets, everybody is interested in the weather..."

No comments:

Post a Comment