Friday 18 April 2008

Sounds



The albums arrived just now and Orange Juice's "The Glasgow School" was adorned with this sticker. It's a great recommendation per se. Thinking about it, I got into a lot of older bands because they were namedropped by either Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand or proper indie pop bands. I wouldn't even know about The Left Banke, Wire, Felt or any older twee bands.

Here's a new band I like: Their Hearts Were Full of Spring sounded so much like The Smiths when I first heard them that I had to laugh. However, their debut single "A Question of Trust" is really quite amazing, even if it's the most retro thing you could think of. I wouldn't mind, I can't stop listening to it. It's that sort of dramatic pop I've got a soft spot for. Here's an example of drama in the form of an excerpt from their "About Me" on myspace:

This is not music just for the fashionistas and NME readers, the young and the pretty (vacant). This is music for everyone who still remembers - or needs reminding - what it feels like to be human in a world where alienation has become just another a marketing strategy.

Forget all that - fuck the cool kids - come and join us!


Hello statement! I bet they're wearing daffodils in the pockets of their jeans.

Speaking of which, Max has asked me to sing "Everyday Is Like Sunday" at the indie karaoke with him. Umm.

No comments:

Post a Comment